I have written about small world moments in previous posts, but yesterday took the cake.
Dan and I went on a day tour to the towns of Portobello and Colon, on the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal. Portabello has ruins of forts from the Gold Rush era, and a church with a black figure of Christ with a lot of legend tied to it ( http://www.coloncity.com/blackchrist.html). Near Colon, we visited the observation center for the Canal expansion work- pretty impressive. We traveled to these places by van, but to return, the tour included a scenic train ride back to Panama City, along the Canal.
So there we are, standing on the train platform, when a guy comes up to us to ask if we knew where a bathroom was. I was so focused on a) communicating, and b) helping a man in need of a toilet, that it wasn't until he had walked away that I thought: that man looks a lot like Tony D'Souza! When he and his girlfriend were next to us again, I asked, and it was him! Tony and I met volunteering around the Bay Area years ago, and he and his girlfriend Karen live in Manhattan now. How random and cool to run into them on the train platform, in Colon, Panama!! It was fun to catch up during the train ride and dinner after.
No comments:
Post a Comment