Thursday, March 14, 2013

Caribbean Vibes

For two days now, we have been in Puerto Viejo, CR, on the Caribbean coast about an hour north of the Panamanian border. We have done some fun things-- yesterday we met a chocolate maker and I held a baby monkey at the wildlife rehabilitation center!-- but I'll be glad to move on. I've heard people say they really like the vibe here, but something (or things) about it feels weird to me. The skies are often overcast, with lots of rain showers. Like at Pacuare beach where I volunteered, there are very few sea birds, contributing to a sense of desolation. There is a lot of crime, which has limited the activities we've done here.  There's a drug culture and problem. The locals are fighting with the government over control over the local Cahuita National Park. Overall, it feels like a town desperately trying to get tourist business, given the limited other economic options in this area, and I feel like as a result, there are very few authentic interactions between locals and visitors. I don't like that rift feeling.
So this morning, we leave for Panama! We'll still be in the Caribbean, but hopefully with better vibes. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment