Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sunrises and sunsets

The title of this post sounds so poetic, but I'm being very literal!

When I first arrived here on Saturday night, I noticed my apartment-mate's vocabulary list hanging on the wall of the shared kitchen.  There were no English translations, only pictures. (I have since come to realize that there is a strict policy against the use of English in the CPI school building. Definitions of new words are provided with explanations in Spanish or drawings.) The first picture I noticed was of the sun with an arrow down, and an arrow up.

"Amanecer"= sunrise.
"Atardecer" = sunset.

I have seen both lately. Though I know at least a few people will not believe me, I've been up at dawn each day so far this week. The bus for school comes at 7:30, and classes start at 8. Costa Rica really is an early to bed, early to rise country, it seems. Things start early because of the heat.

And as for sunsets, it's a beautiful thing being on the Pacific coast AND having warm water! You can see the sunset on the beach while not freezing; it's fantastic. Tonight three women from school (including my apartment-mate from Norway) and I went to a new restaurant at the beach front here in Flamingo Beach, to have dinner and drinks while watching the sun set. A really fun night.  Here's a visual... more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment